Double-Page Spread - Q&A answers + CHANGES

During class I spoke to my teacher about the photograph I took for my double-page spread, she had doubt about the liability of the picture being acceptable, we will see what they tell her about it. Either way, I'm thinking of retaking the picture using a different background. Thus far she finally sent me the answers to my questions for my double-page spread (featured below).

”CULTURE AND MEDIA”


INSTAGRAM THE NEW PORTFOLIO
Q: Why did you get an Instagram account?
A: I originally got an Instagram account to share photos with my friends and family. Eventually, when I started my photography business and my blog, I transitioned my Instagram account to be a promotional tool. I still share personal photos but now everything that I post is tailored and curated to ensure that it is “on-brand”.
Q: What is the purpose of posting the photographs you take?
A: With every photo I take, I aim to connect to my audience whether it is through an engaging caption or photo that catches attention (ideally both!). My main goal with my online presence is to create an account that encourages creativity and kindness. I want my followers to feel as if they know me personally and that they can relate to the content I post.


Q: What is the process of you choosing which photographs get posted?
A: I carefully plan out the photographs that I post, using an external application called UNUM. This planning allows me to make sure I am posting a variety of different subjects and compositions. For example, if I post a flat lay photo of my coffee and planner, I wouldn’t want the next photo to look just like the previous one so I would post a photo of my latest engagement session.
Q: How would you describe the photographs you take?
A: I would describe the photographs that I take as engaging, timeless and candid. However, the photos that I choose to post on Instagram are a mix of personal and work. I want my feed to tell a story and to show who I am and so the photos that I choose to post ideally reflect that.


Q: How has Instagram affected your business as a photographer?  
A: Instagram has absolutely increased my business as a photographer. Now, I receive many photo session inquiries due to my photos on Instagram. It is a wonderful tool for photographers because it really is free advertising!
Q: What is your favorite photograph you have taken and why?
A: It is definitely hard to choose a favorite but currently, it is a photo that I took in Budapest, Hungary. I sat for two hours and watched the sun set in this particular spot so that I could capture the beautiful parliament building in all different types of light. I love that you can see the hustle and bustle of the city in front of the building including a tour bus and pedestrians. I also love the moon in the photo and the reflection of the sun on the water.
When I posted this photo, I paired it with a relatable and honest caption. I believe that on Instagram, the photograph is only half of the equation. It is important to have a caption that also can connect to your audience and followers.



I'm thinking of changing it to a solid white background instead (like below).

Comments